Monthly Archives: January 2011
It’s been a while since I’ve updated the blog, so I’m going to write about some of my favorite TAR teams now. And I promise the next post will not be Survivor or TAR related.🙂
Now, initially I wanted to rank my favorite teams, but I’ve spent quite a while on this before realizing I probably won’t be able to do that. Too hard. And, all but one of my previous posts contain lists, so this one needs to be different.
The only teams I know where would fall in a ranking are Charla & Mirna and Nat & Kat. They are my all time favorites. Charla&Mirna mostly because they crack me up. “Charla, she’s really pissed that we’re asking her, because she has business to do”. How can you not laugh out loud at that? Then there are their funny accents, her drama-queens attitude… I really wish we’d see them for a third time. Nat&Kat were a really strong, likable team and won TAR 17 when I was rooting for them from the beginning. And they deserved to win; Kat gave up 22 years of vegetarianism and Nat faced her fear of heights twice. They are awesome.
Writing about likability, how can anyone not root for Gary & Mallory? They are adorable and just a delight to watch. I hope they do well in the upcoming ‘Unfinished Business’ season, because I still feel they were eliminated way too early the first time.
A team who may not be as likable as G&M is probably Team Alabama from season 10, Lyn & Karlyn. Many people complained that they bitched and moaned too much, but I loved watching them. Their rivalry with the beauty queens plus their awesome remarks (“If you have problems with every car, maybe it’s you, not the car” <-or something like that) made them one of my favorite teams from that season. And they beat the blonds, who I didn’t like in season 10. In the All-Stars season, I thought they were awesome, though.
Jaime & Cara, from season 14, I thought were somewhat similar to Team Alabama. Only they were hotter. And stronger. And smarter. And meaner. But I loved them nonetheless.
Many people would probably say their favorite team from season 7 was Rob & Amber. Me? I’d say Meredith & Gretchen. Come on, they are still, to date, the oldest team to make it to the final 4. You gotta hand it to them. They had a great comeback after checking in last in a non-elimination leg the previous leg. And a few legs later, they almost came in first place. I think they were a strong team who I wish were asked back for the All-Stars edition.
However, I liked that Uchenna & Joyce returned, because I also liked them. The girl shaved her head for a Fast Forward and they managed to win the race after coming in last the previous leg and therefore being stripped of all their money. They also ran a pretty strong race in season 11 and were just as nice as they were in their first season.
From season 16, I absolutely loved the cowboys. Jet & Cord ran an almost perfect race. They were nice the whole time, they never argued or tried to sabotage the other teams. Also, the fact that they came in first after having to complete a Speed Bump? Pretty impressive. They were robbed the victory in that season, but I have no doubts they’ll make it far when they come to compete in the ‘Unfinished Business’ edition.
Well, that will do for now. Of course these are not the only teams I liked (Kris & Jon from season 6, Azaria & Hendekea or TK & Rachel from season 12 would be three others, for example), but I think those are enough to give you an idea of what I like in a team.
So I’m curious, who are your favorite teams?
I have been trying to write this post for a while now, but I’ve been procrastinating like there’s no tomorrow. Even now, I come from a website that has funny pictures of cats. Right… let’s get on to it before I go back there.
So, The Amazing Race. This post won’t be as long as the other one, because I don’t feel like posting a Bottom 5 list. In fact, it would be incredibly hard to even rank all of them, since there haven’t been many seasons that I didn’t enjoy.
As always, keep in mind that the lists here are just for fun, just my opinions and are based on how much I enjoyed each season.
5. The Amazing Race: Family Edition. I know, I know. Again my #5 spot goes to a season which isn’t that well liked by most. In my defense, this was the first season of TAR I ever watched, so it has a sentimental value. At that time, I wasn’t even paying attention to where the teams were heading, so the fact that they didn’t leave the USA didn’t bother me at all. Plus, some of the teams were very likable (I’m thinking the Gaghan family and the four sisters), and it was so much fun to hate on the widow; I’m going to Hell for saying this😀. Looking back, I now think that two persons performing a Roadblock was a cool thing.
4.The Amazing Race 10. Some memorable teams here, such as Team Kentucky, Team Alabama and Dustin and Kandice. I could never tell the blonds apart, but they along with team Alabama made the season very entertaining. I also remember the one team who, one way or the other, always managed to break their car. This season also featured a number of twists, I believe. Like eliminating two teams in the first episode (I didn’t get a good vibe from either of those, so I was happy).
3. The Amazing Race 16. Again, the main reason I liked the season so much was because the cast. Steve and Allie were adorable (well, especially Allie), while Carol and Brandy’s feud with Miss South Carolina was just… a delight to watch. Jet and Cord turned out to be one of my all time favorite teams. The one thing I didn’t like about this season was the final leg, when the cowboys were stolen the victory.
2. The Amazing Race: All-Stars. Where should I begin with? Charla and Mirna, maybe. They were hilarious throughout the season and they kicked Rob and Amber out of the race. At that time, I really didn’t like Rob and Amber. Then there were a few teams who got stuck in an airport and ended up being so far behind that Dustin and Kandace had started the next leg. Then there was the final leg. I never in a million years thought Eric and Danielle could win, yet they did. It broke my heart that it wasn’t Charla and Mirna, but at least they weren’t eliminated. Also, I enjoyed most of the challenges (including the one during which Charla threw up :P)
1. The Amazing Race 17. The main reason why this is at the top of my list is because this was the first (and only, as of yet) in which the team I liked from the first episode actually won the whole thing! It made for a great finale, despite the somewhat average final Roadblock. Also, there were some really likable teams: Nat and Kat, Gary and Mallory, Brook and Claire. Also, the watermelon to the face! Chad’s proposal and Nick and Vicki’s dazzling display of stupidity. I loved this season.
I was going to write about my favorite teams as well, but I feel the need to procrastinate a little more, so I’ll leave you with the promise that I do that soon.
Meanwhile, what are your favorite seasons of TAR?🙂
This will be only the second TAR season to feature returning players, after the All-Stars one. So obviously, I was very excited when they announced this at the end of last season. After seeing who’s actually returning, not so much. Is this supposed to be a ‘Season 14 Reunion’?
According to Wikipedia, five out of the eleven teams are from the 14th installment. What? What? Jaime & Cara, Margie & Luke and Kisha & Jen I thought were coming for sure, so they weren’t a surprise. But Amanda & Kris? Why are they returning, exactly? They placed 8th in their season. If you’re going to bring back All-Stars, why wouldn’t you bring a team… well I don’t know, a team that actually made it reasonably far? Or that was somewhat memorable? What are A&K remembered for? Being U-turned. Great.
Same goes for Zev and Justin. They had an even worse placement, 9th. And again, what are they remembered for? Losing their passports. I don’t quite understand why these two teams are back. I just don’t. If they make it far, I will probably be even more pissed.
Flight Time & Big Easy were the one team I didn’t want to see again, although I knew that would probably happen. A lot of people seem to like them, but they really let me down with that roadblock. You are one of the four remaining teams in a race for a million dollars. How can you give up a roadblock and take the four hour penalty? And the roadblock wasn’t even that hard, in my opinion. Anyway, the were a strong team and I think they will again make it pretty far.
On the other hand, I was really happy to see that Gary & Mallory are returning. I loved them in season 17 and had it not been for the map incident, they could have made it much farther. Also, Jaime & Cara. I’ve always had a soft spot for them; especially the obnoxious one. She’s funny when she insults people.😛
And there are Jet & Cord. They are a force to be reckoned with and could end up winning. They came so close in their season and I did feel they got robbed. I will most likely be rooting for them again.
Overall, I am rather disappointed with the teams. The producers could have done so much better. Here’s how my ideal cast would look like:
Jaime and Cara (Season 14)
Margie and Luke (Season 14)
Kisha and Jen (Season 14)
Maria and Tiffany (Season 15; I actually enjoyed watching them race. Many people didn’t, but at least they had a more honorable placement than Zev & Justin or Amanda & Kris)
Jet and Cord (Season 16)
Steve and Allie (Season 16)
Carol and Brandy (Season 16; they were so bitter when they got U-turned, I loved watching them bitch and moan about it)
Gary and Mallory (Season 17)
Brook and Claire (Season 17; seriously, why weren’t they brought back?)
I only chose nine teams because I don’t remember much about seasons 12 (who exactly are Ronald and Christina?) and 13. Anyways, is anyone else disappointed with the returning teams? Was there anyone you wanted to see who didn’t come back?
The 22nd season of Survivor, called ‘Survivor: Redemption Island’ starts on the 16th of February and I already can’t wait. Writing about the show for the last two days didn’t help much, in fact it may have made me even more impatient. Redemption Island will bring two new twists. One is Redemption Island, of course. In the upcoming season, when players will be voted out, they will go to Redemption Island and live in the same conditions as everyone else. When the next person is voted out, they too will go to Redemption Island and engage in a duel with the contestant waiting there. The loser goes home and the winner stays in the game and will have an opportunity to reenter the real game at one point.
Now, I’m not exactly sure how I feel about this. It is similar to the Outcasts twist in Pearl Islands, which I already said I liked. But, with one duel being shown each episode, that probably means we’ll be getting a combined Reward and Immunity Challenge through the merge. In general, I don’t like episodes with only one challenge, but I guess the duel could be seen as the second challenge.
The second twist is that they’re bringing back two former players. I’ll get to that in a moment, but first let’s talk about the other 16 castaways. After watching the videos over at EW.com, I actually… have faith that this can be an interesting cast. Although there are some obvious recruited players (the one I already don’t like is David. He actually admitted he never watched a single episode and is incredibly arrogant. Why are you here, if you don’t watch the show?), it’s nothing like Nicaragua.
There weren’t many people that I didn’t like, so I’ll start with them. David, as I already wrote, is one of them. Another one is Krista the cheerleader, who annoyed me 15 seconds into the video. And Stephanie, mostly because she wouldn’t stop praising Russell. Seriously, she kept going on and on about how great he is. It bugged me. Sarita also gave me a negative vibe. “I think I will at least get to Tribal Council” was what she said when Dalton Ross asked her what it would be like if she was the first one voted out. And what does that mean? Am I missing something here?And how can Natalie name Lady GaGa as her life inspiration? Really?
I am not sure what to think of Andrea, who named Courtney her least favorite player ever, and Matthew. Matthew looks so much like Fabio and that scares me a little bit. Please let the similarities stop there! It amused me when he tried to impress us with his ‘flirtatious nature’; but that was mostly because Dalton was awesome.
Who I got a good vibe from? Francesca. He seems to have the Alicia attitude, but I think she’s funny. Her comment about missing ‘meals at regular intervals’ to do Survivor made me laugh. I liked Julie’s video as well. She, as well as Andrea, named Courtney as her least favorite player. The difference was she actually put it in a way that made me laugh. I think/hope she’ll be fun to watch. Steve seems like a smart person and he gets bonus points for disliking Russell.
Those are my very early impressions of the new cast. Now to the former players. It has been rumored for months now that the two returning players were Boston Rob and Russell. Today, to my severe disappointment, CBS confirmed this. This is so annoying and irritating for a number of reasons:
1) I can’t stand Russell. I can’t. And since the finale of Heroes vs. Villains, he has gotten a huge tattoo on his arm; and it’s not even a cool one. Argh. Jeff Probst said he’s not worried about bringing him back for the 3rd time in 4 seasons. “If you’ve had too much of Russell, I dare say you’re not really a Survivor fan.” Really, Jeff? I never expected such a comment from you. I’m actually going to take it as an insult. On the flip side, there seem to be quite a few people waiting to take out Russell (Steve, Grant to name a few), so fingers crossed he goes home early.
2) I like Boston Rob. But do I want to see him play for the fourth time right now? No. I wouldn’t have brought back former players until at least season 27.
3) I don’t want this season to be turned into a ‘Russell vs. Rob’ thing? Absolutely not. And I think that’s what the producers hope for. I mean they will both be instant targets but instead of being voted out they’ll be sent to a place where they’d have to duel with whoever comes after them? I just hope those duels will contain some sort of puzzles so that Rob can kick Russell’s ass.
I really don’t get why they brought them back. Jeff said something along the lines ‘well it doesn’t really matter if you hate Russell, you’ll have to keep watching so you can keep hating him’. I’m sorry, but I’d rather watch someone who I like so I can continue liking them. Doesn’t that make more sense? Anyways, we’ll wait and see what comes out of this season.
What are your thoughts on the cast? Do you like the fact that Russell and Rob are back?
OK, I’m back with my list of Top 11 favorite players. Initially, I wrote/thought I was going to list my top 10 players, but then I thought we’re in 2011, so why not? Here I go.
(Edit: I forgot to mention that this list is based on how much I enjoyed watching each of these players, not how good I thought they were. For example, I think Boston Rob is a much better player than Eliza, but I enjoyed watching her more.)
11. Peih-Gee Law (Survivor: China). I changed my mind, that happens a lot. I used to have Yul here, but having watched some China clips on Youtube, I decided I liked her more.
10. Boston Rob (Survivor:Marquesas, Survivor:All-Stars, Survivor:Heroes vs. Villains). I reckon a lot of people would be surprised he barely made my Top 10. I agree he is a terrific player: good strategist, physically strong plus a strong social game. But the truth is, I didn’t like his arrogance in the All-Stars season and the fact he betrayed Lex.
9. Eliza Orlins (Survivor:Vanuatu, Survivor:Fans vs. Favorites). She was the one good thing that came out of Vanuatu, plus her facial expressions, eye rolls and comments in FvF were absolutely hilarious. I also thought she played a good game in Vanuatu.
8. Ozzy Lusth (Survivor: Cook Islands, Survivor: Fans vs. Favorites). I think Ozzy is the only player who I appreciate solely for his physical strength. OK, he played a good social game too (in CI), but I liked how he kept winning Immunity(again, in CI). And the love declaration to Amanda at The Final Tribal Council was awkward, but enjoyable.
7. Tom Westman (Survivor:Palau, Survivor:Heroes vs. Villains). I always thought of him as being smart and strong, but he’s not my favorite winner. As Jeff tries to imply whenever he has the chance.
6.Courtney Yates (Survivor:China, Survivor:Heroes vs. Villains). Well, I think we all know why she makes my list. It’s not for her extraordinarily physical ability(she did win one Immunity in China, though).
5. Richard Hatch (Survivor:Borneo, Survivor:All-Stars). Again, I don’t feel an explanation is needed. He was the first real player, the first winner and he shaped the game.
4.Sandra Diaz-Twine (Survivor:Pearl Islands, Survivor:Heroes vs. Villains). The only two-times winner. Of course it’s in my Top 5. The fact that she won twice, plus her awesome comments and personality are why I love her. And, she burned Russell’s hat. Bonus points!
3. Jonathan Penner (Survivor: Cook Islands, Survivor: Fans vs. Favorites). I loved him as a villain in first season and he definitely grew on me in FvF. I felt bad for him that he was evacuated from the game and wished he had been brought back for Heroes vs. Villains. Instead of Coach, for example. Or Randy.
2. Parvati Shallow (Survivor:Cook Islands, Survivor:Fans vs. Favorites, Survivor:Heroes vs. Villains). I think she may be the best player to ever play the game. She is strong physical, a great strategist and social around camp. But I didn’t like her much in CI, because of playing the flirt-card. Now (almost) every good looking girl who comes on the show, thinks that’s all it takes to win it. But apart from that, she’s really awesome.
1. Cirie Fields (Survivor:Exile Islands, Survivor:Fans vs. Favorites, Survivor:Heroes vs. Villains). I love her. I loved her from the first episode. She may not be a strong physical player, but she’s a cunning strategist, has great social skills, a bright personality, a great laugh and she’s hilarious. “If you’re like me, on the couch, stay on the couch.” Brilliant. I wish she’d lasted longer on Heroes vs Villains. I think she’s the greatest player to never win. Had it been a Final 3 in Micronesia, I believe she had a real shot.
OK folks, that’s it for now.
Who are your favorite Survivors?
So I said in my previous post I will, among other things, blog about Survivor and The Amazing Race. CBS officially released the names of 16 of the 18 players (two will be former players and here’s hoping the rumors aren’t true) who will compete in the 22nd installment. I thought it would be appropriate to tell you all about my favorite seasons/survivors and whatnot before this season starts. In this post, I will list my Top/Bottom 5 favorite seasons(I will do a separate post in which I will rank ALL seasons, but that will most likely will be after the final episode of ‘Redemption Island’), which will leave a Top 10 list of my favorite Survivor players for another post.
Now, the following lists are based on just how much I enjoyed each season. I doubt there is a formula to truly determinate which season of Survivor was the best. Feel free to disagree with everything I say and leave your thoughts/lists in the comment section. So, I will start with my Top 5.
5. Survivor: Gabon. Why is this season in my Top 5? Because Sugar spent most of the time on Exile Island (does anyone else miss it?). Because Bob made great fake idols. Because someone actually played one. Because this season had one of the best villains ever(Corrine). Because Crystal, the athlete with a Gold Medal sucked at challenges. Because of Ace’s British accent. In a nutshell, I thought it had a great cast. Also, great location.
4. Survivor: Pearl Islands. A lot of people disliked this season because of ‘The Outcast’ twist. I, however, I actually liked that twist; not the fact that Lil made the Final Two, but just the twist. Also, it was the first season I ever watched; if it wasn’t for this, I wouldn’t have become a Survivor freak. So it gets bonus points for that. This was Sandra’s first season and I love Sandra.
3. Survivor: Heroes vs. Villains. There were two things that I didn’t like about this season: the plethora of idols played and lots of fan favorite players going way too early (Stephenie, Cirie, Tom, Rob). But other than that, I thought it was an awesome season. Lots of blindsides and crazy (read stupid) moves, a crazy fight between Amanda and Danielle, Sandra and Courtney’s hilarious comments, the fact that Russell lost again. I really liked the idea of doing only challenges that have been on previous seasons.
2. Survivor: Borneo. The first season. Need I say more?
1. Survivor: Fans vs. Favorites. This was hands down my favorite Survivor season. Great challenges, great players (well, most of them), great plays. The right person won and my other favorite player was in the Top 3. It had just the right combination of sad and uplifting moments, of strategic and physical plays. Eliza gets the prize for the Best Tribal Council Facial Expressions and Erik for the Dumbest Move Ever. And if I call Kathy the best quitter ever…could that be taken the wrong way? Well, I mean it in a good way. She’s the only quitter I still like.
And now Bottom 5:
5. Survivor: Guatemala. This season was so boring, and the winner so forgettable. The only things I can remember from this season is that Bobby Jon had an argument with Jaime, that they ate a chicken which they weren’t supposed to and there were crocodiles in the water. Seriously, was there anything interesting at all? Also, this is the season in which Stephanie became really unlikable. Sadly.
4. Survivor: Samoa. This is the only season in which I (argh, I can’t believe I’m writing this) rooted for Russell. There, I said it. In my defense, he was the only one playing the game, ok? And I think he got robbed. Still, his arrogance and way of treating other people got on my nerves. And apart from Russell, there was no one to root for. It had one of the worst groups of people ever. Most of them, of course, were recruits.
3. Survivor: Vanuatu. The Final 3 were absolutely painful to watch. Scout, Twila, Chris. Really? And Chris may be my least favorite winner ever. Also, the tribes were divided by gender, which for some reason I didn’t like.
2. Survivor: Fiji. The cast was disappointing, to say the least. Most of them were recruits, of course. The only one I found rather interesting was Yau-Man, everyone else was just either shallow or crazy. Or stupid. And I didn’t like the twist; rich vs poor didn’t work for me. And I thought it was quite predictable, with the rich tribe dominating. In Palau, I liked it; here I didn’t.
1. Survivor: Nicaragua. The reasons why this is at the bottom of my list are endless. First of all, the
recruits players sucked. We had too people quit on day 28, one of which after having maybe 4 confessionals the entire time. There were maybe two people who were actually playing strategic and only one of them was likable (Brenda). The Final Five was without a doubt the worst I have seen and Dan was a part of it. I didn’t like anyone and hoped the jury would vote for Jeff Probst, who was amazing throughout the season, both at challenges and Tribal Council. The person who won was the person who I didn’t like from episode 1. This is the first time something like this happens. The challenges were boring also; they have used more tiles than in the past five seasons combined. And no water challenges. And during the Reunion show, I had more fun looking for former players in the audience. Blah!
So there you have it! I’ll come back with Part 2 soon. And I’d be interested in finding out what your Top/Bottom 5 seasons are, so leave it in the comment section!🙂
I feel it would only be appropriate to write something about me in this ‘first’ post, but I am lacking the necessary will to find something interesting about myself. So instead I decided to tell you about the history of this blog. Not that that would be anymore interesting, but anyway.
This blog was started by me, last summer. I have been wanting to start a blog for a long time so I finally brought myself to do it. I made plans for these great posts and sections and I was even dreaming of a possible extension to a real website. Six months and seven posts later, I think we can all admit that my first attempt was a failure. I wrote a review and posted some content I thought was funny and even created ‘Friday Five’, where every Friday I would post five things about myself. But due to my laziness and other things, I neglected the blog.
Now, it’s a new year. One of my resolutions is to resurrect the blog and keep it going. No previous posts or pages were kept. No more plans were made. Instead, I will just write about whatever I feel like. For example, I will definitely start writing about Survivor. And The Amazing Race. Book reviews, random thoughts, funny stuff will most likely be posted as well. Also, if I manage to keep this going until December, I will actually share my 2011 Resolutions with you.😛
If you want to follow me in my ‘journey’, jump on board. Everyone is welcomed.
Here I go. The first drop of ink has fallen. We’ll see how many more will follow.