All about ‘Survivor’: Part 1
So I said in my previous post I will, among other things, blog about Survivor and The Amazing Race. CBS officially released the names of 16 of the 18 players (two will be former players and here’s hoping the rumors aren’t true) who will compete in the 22nd installment. I thought it would be appropriate to tell you all about my favorite seasons/survivors and whatnot before this season starts. In this post, I will list my Top/Bottom 5 favorite seasons(I will do a separate post in which I will rank ALL seasons, but that will most likely will be after the final episode of ‘Redemption Island’), which will leave a Top 10 list of my favorite Survivor players for another post.
Now, the following lists are based on just how much I enjoyed each season. I doubt there is a formula to truly determinate which season of Survivor was the best. Feel free to disagree with everything I say and leave your thoughts/lists in the comment section. So, I will start with my Top 5.
5. Survivor: Gabon. Why is this season in my Top 5? Because Sugar spent most of the time on Exile Island (does anyone else miss it?). Because Bob made great fake idols. Because someone actually played one. Because this season had one of the best villains ever(Corrine). Because Crystal, the athlete with a Gold Medal sucked at challenges. Because of Ace’s British accent. In a nutshell, I thought it had a great cast. Also, great location.
4. Survivor: Pearl Islands. A lot of people disliked this season because of ‘The Outcast’ twist. I, however, I actually liked that twist; not the fact that Lil made the Final Two, but just the twist. Also, it was the first season I ever watched; if it wasn’t for this, I wouldn’t have become a Survivor freak. So it gets bonus points for that. This was Sandra’s first season and I love Sandra.
3. Survivor: Heroes vs. Villains. There were two things that I didn’t like about this season: the plethora of idols played and lots of fan favorite players going way too early (Stephenie, Cirie, Tom, Rob). But other than that, I thought it was an awesome season. Lots of blindsides and crazy (read stupid) moves, a crazy fight between Amanda and Danielle, Sandra and Courtney’s hilarious comments, the fact that Russell lost again. I really liked the idea of doing only challenges that have been on previous seasons.
2. Survivor: Borneo. The first season. Need I say more?
1. Survivor: Fans vs. Favorites. This was hands down my favorite Survivor season. Great challenges, great players (well, most of them), great plays. The right person won and my other favorite player was in the Top 3. It had just the right combination of sad and uplifting moments, of strategic and physical plays. Eliza gets the prize for the Best Tribal Council Facial Expressions and Erik for the Dumbest Move Ever. And if I call Kathy the best quitter ever…could that be taken the wrong way? Well, I mean it in a good way. She’s the only quitter I still like.
And now Bottom 5:
5. Survivor: Guatemala. This season was so boring, and the winner so forgettable. The only things I can remember from this season is that Bobby Jon had an argument with Jaime, that they ate a chicken which they weren’t supposed to and there were crocodiles in the water. Seriously, was there anything interesting at all? Also, this is the season in which Stephanie became really unlikable. Sadly.
4. Survivor: Samoa. This is the only season in which I (argh, I can’t believe I’m writing this) rooted for Russell. There, I said it. In my defense, he was the only one playing the game, ok? And I think he got robbed. Still, his arrogance and way of treating other people got on my nerves. And apart from Russell, there was no one to root for. It had one of the worst groups of people ever. Most of them, of course, were recruits.
3. Survivor: Vanuatu. The Final 3 were absolutely painful to watch. Scout, Twila, Chris. Really? And Chris may be my least favorite winner ever. Also, the tribes were divided by gender, which for some reason I didn’t like.
2. Survivor: Fiji. The cast was disappointing, to say the least. Most of them were recruits, of course. The only one I found rather interesting was Yau-Man, everyone else was just either shallow or crazy. Or stupid. And I didn’t like the twist; rich vs poor didn’t work for me. And I thought it was quite predictable, with the rich tribe dominating. In Palau, I liked it; here I didn’t.
1. Survivor: Nicaragua. The reasons why this is at the bottom of my list are endless. First of all, the
recruits players sucked. We had too people quit on day 28, one of which after having maybe 4 confessionals the entire time. There were maybe two people who were actually playing strategic and only one of them was likable (Brenda). The Final Five was without a doubt the worst I have seen and Dan was a part of it. I didn’t like anyone and hoped the jury would vote for Jeff Probst, who was amazing throughout the season, both at challenges and Tribal Council. The person who won was the person who I didn’t like from episode 1. This is the first time something like this happens. The challenges were boring also; they have used more tiles than in the past five seasons combined. And no water challenges. And during the Reunion show, I had more fun looking for former players in the audience. Blah!
So there you have it! I’ll come back with Part 2 soon. And I’d be interested in finding out what your Top/Bottom 5 seasons are, so leave it in the comment section!