RaT Challenge: A Music Bath
Edit: Challenge now over. Winner is Supa Novacaine. Thanks to everyone who participated! 🙂
Hello, ‘thoners! Still hanging on in there? Eight hours of continuous reading is impressive, so do allow yourself a few moments to celebrate.
The fact that you’re still standing -and that you signed up for this in the first place-, suggests you’re quite appreciative of literature. I bet there are some among you that also enjoy other forms of art – painting, composing music or writing (NaNoWriMo anyone? I’ve only a vague idea what I’m going to write this year. Me begins to panic). What I am most certain of, however, is that all of you like music to some extent.
If you’re like me though, you would listen to music every minute of the day. On most days, you may just be able to do that. But not today, because today we read; and reading requires concentration – even the Goosebumps books, or whatever your pick of ‘light reading’ is. Oliver Wendell Holmes once said:
Take a music bath once or twice a week for a few seasons. You will find it is to the soul what a water bath is to the body.
That, awesome readers, is my challenge for you: take a short (short!) break from the novel you’re currently savouring and think of these questions:
- What song does the book I’m reading right now remind me of?
- What song does my favorite book remind me of?
- Can I find a connection between one of my favorite songs and a story I like?
When have at least one song in mind, go and listen to it once or twice. After that, come back here and leave me a comment saying what song(s) you listened to, what book does it remind you of and why. I’m always on the lookout for new great music, so if you want to leave a link as well, even better!
One lucky person will be randomly selected to receive a prize from the Read-a-Thon prize list. You have three hours – plenty of time.
You shy? Don’t be, I’ll go first.
- I’m not reading anything at the moment. As I write this, it’s the 11th of October.
- I love the Harry Potter books, and Luna Lovegood is quite possibly my favorite character in the entire series. A few years ago I was introduced to this song through the TV show F.B.Eye. Ever since then, I can’t help but think of Luna & her quirkiness whenever I listen to it.
- This is a bit harder. But I adore ABBA, so pretty much all their songs are favorites of mine. The Mastership Game, which I had read in January and enjoyed tremendously, is about five people who try to legally obtain $2 mil. in one year. So… Money, money, money? I think so. 🙂
Your turn. Also, good luck with the remaining of the Read-a-Thon! Here’s hoping one way or another, we all cross that finish line! 😀